Tuesday, August 25, 2009

New book out today!

It's such thrill when a new book comes out! To all you hopeful aspiring writers out there, let me tell you, it's worth it to persevere through months and years of writing!

My author copy of VIOLET WINGS arrived several days ago. I looked at its dazzling cover art and hefted its 300+ pages, humming with joy.

Once finished, a book can be read in a few hours. The story flows, seemingly without effort. That's as it should be!

But of course, I know how many many hours went into it--not just from me, but from others. I didn't keep track of how much time I spent writing, revising, writing, revising this book. . . And then there were all the contributions from critique partners, editors, designers, artists, marketers. It takes a village to raise a book. :)

If you'd like to read the prologue to get a sense of what the book's about, go to my home page and click on "read the prologue."

Breathe on your own now, book of my heart! Soar through the world with strong wings.

8 comments:

Celtic Traveler said...

I KNOW! I've spent 7 years on my book, and every time I open a book, I wonder how much effort the author put in for a novel that I can read in one day. Sometimes I just want to wake up one morning with the thing done and written. But, then again, what would be the fun in that?

Victoria said...

Exactly! I do the same thing now, wondering about the story behind each book. Good wishes for yours!

Story Weaver said...

I'm with Celtic Traveler.

I stumble across really good sentences in books and just imagine the author as they wrote it, beaming with pleasure and doing everything humanly possible to keep it in the final draft.

Victoria said...

:)

RachelmcC said...

Violet wings is simply marvelous! I have been looking forward to a new book ever since The Light of the Oracle, and this definitely was not a disappointment!

The Sear and the Sword and companions have been at the top of my favorite books list for years, and now Violet Wings has joined them!

I'm looking forwards to seeing another Zaria story sometime in the future!

RaeLen.

Jennifer said...

Hi! I've finally gotten around to reviewing Violet Wings after snagging two TWO ARCs at ALA (one was sent to my sister in Texas for a late birthday present!) I hope you're writing sequels - Violet Wings hasn't been on the shelf at our library since I ordered it, the kids LOVE it! http://jeanlittlelibrary.blogspot.com/2009/11/violet-wings-by-victoria-hanley.html

Victoria Hanley said...

Is it obvious that I have a deadline closing in? I'm such a bad blogger--haven't even checked in for over a month. Agh. But I wanted to say thanks, RaeLen and Jennifer, for taking the time to post comments. Glad you enjoyed Zaria--she and I have been spending a whole lot of time together lately!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! I'm dying to know if there is a sequel to Violet Wings.