Monday, November 21, 2011

NaNo Days 9 - 20

NaNo Days 9 - 20. Snarl. Blarg. Meh. Glimmer.

Yes, although I haven't kept up with this NaNo blog, I HAVE kept up with the NaNo minimum of 1667 words a day. Which means I'm now at 33, 351. And very few of those words will make it into the finished novel. But what's a first draft for?

A first draft is for getting in touch with the story. Getting in touch with the story means coaxing the story to show its shy face. Coaxing the story to show its shy face means getting rid of all other writing pressures besides the pressure of showing up every day without fail. Showing up every day without fail means the story can trust me enough to reciprocate.

So that's what I'm doing.

I do have other writing pressures happening with various other projects in various stages of completion. But when it comes to this raw NaNo draft, my editor's mind is not invited whatsoever. The result is somewhat hilarious, a bit disconcerting, and rather ... well, maybe even fun at times.

And, by the way, if you stop over at http://vvyyllee.blogspot.com/ --she's offering a giveaway of SEIZE THE STORY. It's a really good book. :)

No comments: