Tuesday, November 1, 2011

NaNo

NaNo starts today. That's National Novel Writing Month, for those who haven't heard. I've signed up formally -- for the first time. The goal is to write 50,000 words in a month, without any regard for whether those words are keepers or not. It's essentially a giant freewrite.

Why am I doing this? I mean, just the thought of beginning a first draft has me snarling and groaning. I DISLIKE writing first drafts. Intensely.

That's why.

There's something about knowing that other people are facing the same thing: Others are greeted by that blank screen, no idea what to write, but doing it anyway. Solidarity in groanitude.

I've just turned in the final draft of Indigo Magic, the second book in the fey series that began with Violet Wings. So I have no excuses, cannot linger polishing that book endlessly. It's time for the next one.

I'll keep posting. And if you want to join in the fun, it's not too late to sign up at www.nanowrimo.org

!!!

No comments: